Steve Smith Sr. played 16 seasons in the NFL as a wide receiver for the Carolina Panthers and Baltimore Ravens. While in the NFL, Smith was a three-time All-Pro, he made the Pro Bowl five times and amassed 14,731 receiving yards over his career. In 2005, Smith won Comeback Player of the Year while also obtaining the “Triple Crown” with the Panthers by topping three separate statistical categories, tying for the league lead in catches and touchdowns while leading the league in receiving yards. Smith is now an analyst for the NFL Network and the host of the “Cut To It” Podcast
Today on the show, Eric and Steve discuss their upbringings, advice they would give to their younger selves and how to obtain an appreciation for your career. Other topics include:
- (4:00-7:00) – Growing up in Los Angeles
- (7:00-16:10) – Playing with a chip on your shoulder. Shaking the punt return label
- (16:10-19:30) – Advice to rookies – What’s your purpose?
- (19:30-24:00) – Players Steve tried to emulate, looked up to
- (24:00-33:00) – Advice on transitioning out of the NFL into a new career
- (33:00-39:20) – Appreciation for your career. Job shadowing at NFL network
- (39:20-44:00) – Why Steve started a podcast
And much more including some talk on the 2022 Buffalo Bills.
Rate, review and subscribe to the show today!
Preorder Eric’s new book “Tackle What’s Next” today: https://ericwoodmedia.com/book/